Monday, December 10, 2007

Diocese of San Joaquin Votes to Disassociate with The Episcopal Church

Diocese of San Joaquin Votes to Disassociate with The Episcopal Church

All I can say about this is "wow." My prayers are with Bishop Schofield and the members of the new Anglican Diocese of San Joaquin. I've been part of a parish that eventually chose to leave, and I've seen how painful that was for those that left and those that stayed. I spent five years in northern Virginia where, even now, lawsuits have been filed against orthodox churches that no longer wish to be part of the Episcopal Church (TEC). During that time my husband and I left the church for another denomination because after much prayer and discernment we decided we no longer wished to tithe to a heretical institution. I also know people who remain in TEC because its "what they've always done" or "because my grandpap helped build this church," but are also shocked and saddened at the national church's apparent slide towards apostacy. So across the board: sadness, pain, regret... but also a bit of somber joy from those who are fighting the good fight. They are joyful because they are following Christ, yet somber because of the terrible reasons for their departure.

I have nothing new or interesting to add to the volumnious commentary (as seen on sites like Stand Firm and T1:9) but I can add my prayers for those who are treading new and uncharted paths trying to follow Christ as best they can. And I can add my prayers for those who may have lost their way - or don't know which way to turn - that God's "still, quiet voice" will speak truth to them and be a beacon for them to follow home.

No comments: