Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Goldberry's Washing Day

Yesterday and last night we had the most glorious rain here in north Alabama. It was an all-day event - a soft, gentle shower that watered thirsty gardens and lawns but left no damage in its wake. In the last few weeks, we've had some torrential downpours - over an inch in half and hour - with hail and high winds. So this fall-like weather was a blessed reprieve from the thunderstorm warnings.

My new job takes me about 30 minutes north of where we live, and my route takes me though the country. Driving home last night I beheld a scene that reminded me deeply of Tom Bombadil and Goldberry (from Fellowship of the Ring). As I passed through a dense area of trees, the road suddenly opens up onto farmland. But the road is elevated somewhat, as though on an earthen dam or dike, so my car is raised above the crops growing below. (My guess is it's either cotton or soybeans, but I haven't decided which yet.) The rain was coming down, and there was a blanket of mist hanging low over the fields. I just imagined Goldberry singing for rain on a hilltop somewhere and the plants drinking deeply, giving thanks.

Anyway, random thoughts this morning. Now the sun is shining and I'm sure we'll be back to the sultry Alabama summer soon.

No comments: