Thursday, December 4, 2008

Eucatastrophe

Last night in Wheaton, Illinois, a group of orthodox Anglicans laid the foundation for a provisional Anglican Church in North America. My small little corner of the Anglican alphabet soup is not a part of this (yet?), but it gives me hope. It gives me hope that Biblically-based Anglican Christianity is still alive and well in America, and will continue with the Great Commission. It gives me hope that our fractured world does have the ability to come together and begin to heal - if us raucous Anglicans can agree to disagree on things like women's ordination and which prayer book is appropriate, just think what might happen in other areas where we live and work.

Do you see what I mean? We are so used to getting our own way in today's society. It's "me, me, me, me" everywhere you go. Here's an example of folks willing to set aside the "me" and work for the better of "we." The quote "preach the gospel at all times; if necessary, use words," is attrbuted to St. Francis, and it applies to us. Regardless of where we are and what venue we are functioning in, our actions are visible to those around us. So now maybe a town council, or a Baptist church, or a board of directors will see how this group of Anglicans set aside their differences to work together for the greater good. Indeed, maybe some of the Anglicans involved in this new province WORK in some of those other groups, and will not only impact the "group dynamics" but bring souls to Christ at the same time.

It's not a solution to all life's problems - of course not. We are fallen human beings and will continue to struggle with sin for the rest of our lives. But at this part of the story, we are experiencing our own eucatastrophe. And I will weep and rejoice as I watch the events unfold.

No comments: