Monday, May 18, 2009

Oh, the Places You'll Go

So, as I mentioned a little while ago, the philosopher and I have started hiking on a regular basis. With the advent of digital photography, we can also indulge our propensity to take photos of pretty scenery (both flora and fauna) as well as the occasional majestic vista. On our trip to Little River Canyon back in April, we got some photos of some incredible wildflowers, and yes, a majestic vista as well. And since I think they're beautiful, I thought I'd share them with you, my faithful readers (both of you!) ::grin::

This is a view from the upper edge of the canyon near Eberhart Point Trail, looking back down the river. There's an incredibly steep drop-off at the edge of the rocks, and you can see almost down to the canyon floor. Definitely not a place to be wobbly on your feet!

As soon as we hiked down into the canyon (the trail was well marked but *incredibly steep*) we started seeing beautiful early spring flowers. Since I don't want blogger to take away my bandwidth, I'll only post a few, just to tantalize you!



The first one is Blue Dogbane (Amsonia tabernaemontana), the second is called Fire Pink (Silene virginica), and the third is a wild iris. We haven't identified the exact species of the iris yet, but we're still working on it!

We're definitely "ambling hikers" - we like to stop and look at things, and smell the flowers, and take pictures, and enjoy the views. So our hope is to find some hiking buddies who feel the same way. There are a lot of folks out there who see hiking as a challenge - get from one place to another - but for us the joy is in the journey. And as we go on more journeys, I'm sure we'll document. And you may even get to read about it here! (OK, stop rolling your eyes.)

1 comment:

.....CLIFFORD said...

I was up "on the mountain" at Little River back in April, and will be there next week taking my son to camp. A utterly beautifil place.