Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year!

Wow - I hadn't realized how long it's been since I've posted anything...  So here's December in review, and I'll try to get pictures up in another post later.

December came in with a fury, and heartbreaking news that the philosopher did not get the job at the Happy Southern School.  (Lots of prayers needed for that one!)  However, another door opened - well, let's say it unlocked, and we're hoping it opens further - for a position at a Slightly Farther North But Still Happy Southern School.  This job would require relocation, and I would have to leave my job, but that's the only negative.  We have dear friends who work there, and other dear friends in the same town.  I don't want to get my hopes up, because they were so recently brutally bashed.  Still, I'm an eternal optimist, and I *do* have hope.

After the semester ended for both of us, we left for a Much Needed Vacation in New Orleans.  We stayed at La Maison Marigny, a delightful B&B on the residential end of Bourbon Street.  We ate well, and we listened to live jazz and had drinks.  (We were pondering that later, and realized that may be only the second time ever that we were in a bar and both had cocktails....!)  We bought fun-but-inexpensive art, and enjoyed a trip to the World War II museum.  We did a lot of walking and taking pictures, too.  It's funny, but when we first were married we took photos of each other.  Later we started taking pictures of places we had been, usually without people in the frame.  Now?  We're taking pictures of architectural detail!!!

Christmas day my sister-in-law came to visit, which was wonderful.  We only live 2 1/2 hours apart, but there's so little time to actually get to spent time together!  So that was a blessing, and a delight.  Even better, we got over two inches of snow on Christmas Day, a first for our tiny corner of the world.  Yay, snow!  (Boo, bad road conditions!)

For New Year's, our biologist friend came down for a few days.  She and the philosopher played a game of "What Not To Wear" in my closet, and then took me shopping to spend a generous gift card present from my dad.  Most women in the world love to shop - for me it's emotional exhausting and definitely not something I look forward to.  But I have some nice new clothes, and a dear friend to thank for it!

2010 will not go down on the record books as a wonderful year, but all is well for now.  We're still praying, and watching, and waiting for the path.  God's got a plan, we just have to wait until he's ready to reveal it to us.  My impatient side fervently prays that in 2011 will see the way, but nothing can rush God.  And all in all, that's a good thing.

No comments: