Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Tale of Two Gardens

So, there were two gardens in my world this past weekend....


The Yummy Garden


Our veggies are growing like crazy, and we're already feasting on lettuce and chard.

 This is our square foot garden.  Sugar snap peas, Sweet 100 tomato, Romaine lettuce, Bibb lettuce, eggplant, carrots, ruby red swiss chard and lots o' Georgia sweet onions.

 It's amazing that it's been so warm (erm... make that HOT) but our lettuce hasn't bolted yet.

And in some other happy planter boxes, we have zucchini, crookneck squash, peppers, tomatoes, and one huge tub filled with cantaloupe.  YUMMMMMMMM.

The Beautiful Garden


The other garden we visited was Smith-Gilbert Gardens, a local collector's garden that is simply stunning. 

 Lots of walking trails.

 A rose garden.

 A conifer garden.

 And really funky plants everywhere! (This is a Jack-in-the-Pulpit)

 A pond with some of the largest koi I'd ever seen. (And I caught a picture of a philosopher in the wild, too - a rare sighting indeed!)

 And my favorite thing EVER - the speed limit sign!!!

If you're ever in Kennesaw, GA, and need to spend a few hours doing something low-key, I highly recommend stopping by Smith-Gilbert Gardens.  Even in the winter it's a lovely place, because they have a camellia garden too!

2 comments:

rogerf_s said...

Very beautiful. Perhaps we will visit one day.

Abigail said...

hahaha! I love the speed limit sign too! I'll show it to my astro hubby who'll get a kick out of it.